In 1961, Theodore Schipper, a humble dairyman from Grants Pass in Oregon, made a decision to relocate his family to sunny California. His supportive wife Harriet along with their six children packed all their possessions in a 1948 Chevy truck and set off for new pastures in true pioneer spirit. They settled in San Jose, California.
Theodore started a small fertilizer business peddling bags of cow manure and sawdust from door to door. The business grew and prospered over time as did the family. To this day his nine children make up the backbone of the enterprise and the family bond and ethos remains a strong element of the business. To say that soil, concrete and aggregate is in their blood is an understatement. The company provides employment for 150+ members and over 40 of the staff are family who are active in the business and still perpetuate the hard work ethic started by Theodore and Harriet.
From the early days of Evergreen Garden Supply and then Evergreen Concrete, came further expansion and growth. With “customer service” as their priority came more demand for services from a wider community, and a subsequent batch plant was acquired in Hollister to serve the towns and communities of San Benito County, hence a new company was formed with the name “San Benito Supply.” As time went by, the footprint expanded to include batch plants in Watsonville, Salinas, Soledad, King City and Paso Robles.